Monday, February 10, 2014

Thinking About Research

As I continue to learn more about the Baybrook area and how this area has been surrounded by multiple industries throughout the years all the fumes and from the factories and diesel trucks. I feel enraged and this is not a new problem. There is documentation of acid fumes so fierce that it stained the windows of homes and churches in Curtis Bay. It was June 27, 1945 “It is really a crime to let this air-pollution continue. These people about me have been to tolerant, too unwilling to fight for what are their just rights, and so they have gone on enduring this destruction of the properties, not to mention the possible harmful effects their bodies must suffer by reason of having to breathe air saturated with acid fumes.” (Baltimore Sun June 27, 1945)

So my first thought for a research topic/focus for my course would be to research the environmental injustice that has happen in the past in Baybrook and to look toward the future and the reality of the incoming Energy Answers waste-to-energy incinerator. I feel that I may not be able to truly give both sides, as I feel this incinerator this close to schools and community would not have positive effects on the community in the long run. So what I think I would like to research and focus on is the community garden and look into the history of green space in community gardens. Taking a closer look Filbert Street Garden and possibly other gardens including history and affects the gardens have had in the surrounding neighborhoods. I feel the community having their garden is a way they can change something for the better in their community. I do not know much about community gardens but I do have a love for nature and providing places for people to experience it.

No comments:

Post a Comment