Monday, April 14, 2014


Trying to get donations for our event is easer said then done. My partner JJ and I decided to work as a team she would start by sending out emails and we would hit the streets together for the first time Saturday. JJ emailed 17 businesses out on April 7th and 9th and we received no responses. So Saturday April 12 we headed out to visit the Annapolis businesses in hopes of some support for our Garden Gala. We started out with businesses that we had emailed but also stopped by any local business.  Successes were that we were able to get to donations our first was from ARMADILLO"S the owner was super cool and enjoyed talking with us about the Filbert Street Garden.We were super excited to get our first donation that we took a picture in front of Armadillo’s unfortunately when I went to send the picture to JJ there was no picture on my phone. The second donation was from Crush Kitchen and Winehouse. Almost everyone we spoke with was super nice and even gave me a name to follow up on Monday or Tuesday. There were a couple of bumps in the road one was when an owner wanted to donate to use and we did not have the address on the ASK. This left me feeling a bit dumb but a problem we could solve. Thank goodness D’Arcy was able to text me the address so we could hand write in on the bottom of the ASK.  Another question that was asked that I was lacking the answer to what was the last day we would take donations. After a few stops I became a fast talker sharing the importance of the Garden Gala with anyone who would listen. Some wanted my e-mail so I added it to the flyer. When we go back out to more businesses I would add our UMBC e-mails to the form so they could contact use. We handed out 38 ASK in a day of hard work and determination.
The other project I am working on is the Marc Steiner Radio Broadcast. I am working on Tuesday hard work, struggle and sacrifice. I am working on pulling powerful quotes from not only Baybrook but also from the sparrows point to create a flow between the too topics. I have looked over the suggestions from my fellow classmates for the Baybrook portion I am still missing a time stamp and interview from an oral history that I had read so I am continuing to look for that. I am going to correspond with Sander who is also working on Tuesday to see what he has found and we can collaborate on the rough cut to be presented to Marc Steiner at the meeting Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment