Monday, March 24, 2014

I feel I have had so many exciting opportunities in the last two weeks. My first was the opportunity to lead an interview with a former Bethlehem Steel employee. Although I was nervous I was able to ask questions that were open ended and allowed for him to tell his story.  When I had completed my part of the interview I switched spots with Michelle Stefano. This was a truly valuable opportunity to observe her techniques for interviewing.
 After the interview me and my other classmates from my Ethnography in America Class set off on mission two, dinner collaboration with Marc Steiner. This was to begin to gather ideas on how to collaborate between classes began discussions about the deindustrialization of both Bay Brook and Sparrows Point and how this has and is affecting the communities.  Providing a platform for discussion of how they would like to see the future of their communities that are being reshaped as the industries leave. One suggestion that I discussed with the group was to provide opportunity for high school students in both areas to have a voice on the radio show. This would provide a platform for what they see is their future, as they become adults in an area that is changing rapidly as deindustrialization occurs in their neighborhoods.

The third great experience I had was the opportunity to assist Kurtis with an interview of Mary Rosso and her friend Lola. Mary Rosso who at on time was a resident of Curtis Bay and has become what she states as, “An accidental environmentalist.” Mary and Lola shared many of their battles to advocate for environmental justice. These women were truly inspiring as they were not afraid to stand up for justice. They of course did not claim to do it by themselves as they share many names of people and groups who they would work with, as there is power in numbers. Some of the groups they worked with were Greenpeace and Clearwater Action. One of my favorite stories that she shared was when she introduced President Clinton and took a picture with Al Gore. What amazing lives these two women have lead and I am so thankful they allowed use to interview them so their stories can be shared with future generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment