Monday, March 10, 2014

Trying to wear multiple hats has become a bit overwhelming.  So I feel the need to share how different elements of this project are coming. After receiving my first attempt at producing a research history of Masonville cove I was relived when it was suggested to split my research into the different points the Educational Center and cove and do a second write up on the area of the Dredged Materials Containment Facility. This provided me a more focused approach to allow for a more detail history of each.  I was proud of myself for finally figuring out how to navigate the Sanborn Maps on the database available thought he Pratt Library. One challenged I faced was that Masonville was once Anne Arundel County and sanborn maps of Anne Arundel County are all on Annapolis and surrounding areas.
 
I would like to take next about the event planning committee. I have expanded on the children’s plant a seed and take it home to grow.  I would like to use the seeds for a milkweed plant. I have contacted a professor in the early childhood education department who is very passionate about children having access to outdoor space that also I very interested in planting the milkweed plants to help the monarch butterfly. I would like to have a card attached to the cup giving and explanation of how planting milkweed plants are helpful to the Monarch butterfly.  I also had a thought that the kid’s area could have kid songs for like 15 to 30 minutes in between bands possibly after the first band. Not on the main stage area this would be small over near the children’s area. I would be willing to volunteer for this I could incorporate some garden songs and the song This Land is Your Land.
The pressure of raising money for the Filbert Street Garden can become overwhelming and often I have found my self-focusing on the dollar amount.  After having the opportunity to hear 
Marc Steiner talk. His words were powerful and they sort-of refocused me. As I am preparing to interview and collect oral histories I feel his advice for really listening and be in that moment are something we often forget in the fast pace world of work and school. He reiterated what I have been learning in my AMST-403 class as we have been discussing about not bringing your preconceived biases to the interview. This will allow you as the interviewer to as Marc Steiner said turn it off and really listen to what people have to say. He continued to give great advise for interviewing to plan well but when the interview begins set it aside and let it be like improv. The part that I will take with me most, as I feel overwhelmed is make a commitment and keep it leaving a reputation of trust. After hearing his passion for community I am very excited to have the opportunity to get to work with him on his radio show that will focus on the areas of Baybrook and Sparrows point and the deindustrialization of these areas and how it has and continues to shape the lives of those living here.

No comments:

Post a Comment